Mouth-watering Memoir

My paternal grandmother, Lucena Ravelo Lacho used to say, "Candy, I'm happy. You know, I just live the simple life..." It's true, if we are happy with what we have, we see the beauty in its simplicity. I miss her so much... I love her so much more.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

I discovered something...


Sorry for not updating for several weeks, I've been busy...

Anyway, I discovered a few things about me (isn't that always the case?)

I've been accompanying my children to bookstores for their summer reading requirements and despite the numerous volumes of bios, documentaries, self-help compilations and adult fiction and mystery novels, I gravitate toward the teen fiction.

Why you ask? Do you really want to know?

One thought came to mind: I don't like to be reminded that real life is either predictable or that mankind is capable of true evil against their own... At least in young teen fiction, the innocence and fantastical storylines are dominated by one single evil character and his oblivious minions that are dominated by fear. Authors that write for children have to truly stretch the imagination to produce monsters so fierce they have to add extra limbs and teeth to instill suspense and thrills. The possibilities are endless with children's books while adult fiction, in my opinion are limited to crimes against each other and humanity, a journey of regret or if it is about mythical creatures, sex is always involved somehow. I know sex sells, but come on, even go as far as pairing up aliens or a supernatural being with a human being? To me, all of these angles have been told and retold, but having a child discover his or her potential to be the hero of an entire world, now that's a story to write about!

That's why I encouraged my daughter to write her own book reviews and ask her friends to join in because we need more children reading and adding to their immense bank of imagination that can diffuse most stress in their lives.
Check it out if you like...

Friends On Books (a teen book review)

Adult books read (but only barely):

The DaVinci Code




















The Bourne series






















The Sookie Stackhouse series






















Can you say, oh well...

No comments: