Mouth-watering Memoir

My paternal grandmother, Lucena Ravelo Lacho used to say, "Candy, I'm happy. You know, I just live the simple life..." It's true, if we are happy with what we have, we see the beauty in its simplicity. I miss her so much... I love her so much more.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Only Seven?

In visiting other blogs who joined SITS, a commenting group of women bloggers (and one man), our featured blogger yesterday had a fun meme about writing out "7 Weird Things About Me"

Here's my list...

"7 Weird Things About Me"

1. I love to stay home; I mean I'm not lazy or anything, just probably the epitome of a homebody. Sure I love to travel, if I can, but between Aruba and my couch with a good book, I say, "Aruba-bye!" and "let me at that book!"

2. Super obsessed with purple! No, not every single thing I own is purple, but to me there is no better color to paint the best things in life with: grapes, eggplants, velvet capes, throws, pillows- you get the idea. If people want your attention, in this day and age, you won't see yellow or red, you'd see purple! You want people to notice something unique, paint it purple. You want a classic elegant look, go deep purple!

3. I can only grow petunias; I guess it's my lack of patience, but c'mon, even my herb pot quit on me, the jasmine plant kept getting munched on by some bug I can't catch, marigolds shrink too quickly, irises take too long to bloom after the first round from the store! Are said "weak" plants still around, sadly yes, but they look so sad- spindly cilantro & parsley, miniature iris leaves, marigolds with tiny blooms... But, petunias, I seem to prune, watch, and bring back to life, making it at least bi-annuals! Does that mean I have "only petunias" thumb?

4. Rather clean the toilet over ironing. Can't handle ironing. Maybe because I'm short and can't handle the insult of that most iron stands, go up to just under the "chest" for me. Hey, if I want to be insulted, I'd rather have my arms free and ache free! At least with toilets, you can fight back with one flush and a brush!

5. I'm the stock up queen! No, not STUCK UP, STOCK UP as in food, necessities, for a rainy day? I have this system down that I've been ridiculed with by reg folks that use their funds for rec stuff they don't even appreciate or end up collecting dust in one corner of their house (their excuse, they have no time- yeah right!) Well anyway, I go major Costco shopping twice a year, refill up the freezer every month or two, and refresh the fridge every two weeks. Why? Why? Didn' t I just say I'm the STOCK UP queen?

6. I am most coherent when I'm upset! So watch out, if you find that I keep making sense during our conversation while I'm pummeling you with accurate aims at the weak points of your character, you know I'm upset! Normally, I like to daydream and think of my darling babies...

7. I don't like solicitors and the stupid ones at that! If you're going to solicit me for something, don't use the "disarm you with warm greetings and small talk" because if you can see me then, you'd see raised eyebrows, going "what does he want and when can I tell him, no thank you?" The stupid ones, where they think they can intimidate you by being covert or mysterious ("Hello, is so and so there?") and not tell you who they are ("Are you so and so?") or who they work for ("I can only speak to so and so, is he/she available?), do they really think I'll keep them on the phone?
As I've said, S-T-U-P-I-D!

And we've reached the end of this segment of how weird I really am. Bye.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I Love purple too!! :)

kado! said...

I LOVE to be at home too...it is where I am the MOST comfortable...and I LOVE my family!

I loved purple as a little girl...but then everyone only bought me things that were purple...I got sick of it around my teenage years!

I hate cleaning the toilet...and my husbands irons...hehehe...the ONLY "women" job he does...but I'm not gonna complain!!!!

I'm right with you about being the Stock-up Queen....I think it's a habit I pick up from being raised Mormon...and the "be-Prepared" motto.....if a tsunami hits us...the neighborhood can come over and live at our house for a month!

Love the post! FUN!

Chandy said...

Still love purple, can't get enough of it! Thanks, ladies!