Mouth-watering Memoir

My paternal grandmother, Lucena Ravelo Lacho used to say, "Candy, I'm happy. You know, I just live the simple life..." It's true, if we are happy with what we have, we see the beauty in its simplicity. I miss her so much... I love her so much more.

Thursday, February 5, 2009

"Different is Good"

I subscribe to Netflix, so today I perused through the "instantly watch" and found Groundhog Day with Bill Murray and Andie McDowell. Have you seen it? Did you like it? I loved it!

I was fixed on the desk chair watching Phil Connors (Bill Murray) live the same day over and over, as well as go through the phases of confusion, defiance, acceptance and self-redemption while winning Rita's (Andie McDowell) heart in the process. It took several weeks of being slapped, conning and undoing all that he did wrong and even became a hero in efforts to bring tomorrow.

By far, in the movie, this is my most favorite line:

"What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was exactly the same, and nothing that you did mattered?" (Phil to Ralph in a bar)

A fellow blogger, Pink Ink had a similar post about Groundhog Day's phenomenon according to this movie. And I left a comment about how I would change my wedding day. Thinking more about it, I still would change this "what should have been the most special day of my life" event back in 1996.

First the flowers; I chose mine but it really wasn't reflective of anything that would be memorable for me or Charlie. I crammed in too many flowers, got a cascade that was too long. For a moment, I forgot how short I was. I WOULD CHANGE IT TO A NOSEGAY OF WHITE TULIPS WITH A SINGLE DEEP PURPLE BLOOM IN THE MIDDLE. THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOUQUET WOULD BE SURROUNDED BY FREESIA GATHERED BY A DEEP PURPLE RIBBON.

The pictures; there weren't enough! I didn't get a shot with my school friends or any shots of me and Lisa OR more of Charlie and I. When we finally saw the pictures, most of them, I didn't like. I would have loved to see more random shots. I WOULD CHANGE IT TO ONLY FAMILY SHOTS WITH A PRO SHUTTER BUG AND HAVE DISPOSABLES ON EACH TABLE FOR RANDOM BUT DEFINITELY MORE PICTURES!

My hair; I didn't have time to go to a salon, I didn't even have anyone to come and help me with my hair. I didn't even get any sleep! I WOULD CHANGE IT TO ASKING SOME SALON OWNER NEARBY TO COME OVER AND DO MY HAIR- TIGHT FRENCH BRAID WITH WISPS ON THE SIDE. I'D ALSO PAY HER TO SHOW UP AT THE RECEPTION TO DO MAINTENANCE FOR PICTURE TAKING SAKE.

The menu; Charlie and I couldn't decide on the menu and didn't know if I or him took care of it. So glad his mom sought the help of other sisters in RS to bring and maintain the food and table. People asked me if I chose the food, though very delicious and all I had to say was, "that was Charlie's department". I didn't even know if we would have food. The one Filipino food I ordered, came late and it was smaller than I expected. Of course, my family gravitated towards that and it was gone before the other guests arrived. It was embarrassing! Thank goodness his mom took care of it. I WOULD CHANGE IT TO SAVORY FINGER FOODS LIKE TEA SANDWICHES OR CANAPES THAT ARE PERFECT FOR AFTERNOON TO EARLY EVENING RECEPTIONS, BUT START OFF WITH SALAD, END WITH FRUITS AND CAKE.

Bridal lunch; I was the last one to sit at the lunch table after we arrived from the temple to the reception site because I was waiting for Lisa to arrive who rode with my maid of honor who got lost after taking a wrong turn. But our first guest was my boss, so I had to get up and start the reception line while the others ate and was nourished. The worst part, no one, not even my own groom, asked if I was hungry. Mind you this was me awake since 5:00 am, only had one meal, and on my feet until 8:30 pm! I ran to the kitchen as soon as the last guest (that wasn't a Mathews' family friend) left and begged the good ladies in there to please, please give me some food- in tears! I stayed there until someone looked for me. I told them to hide me so I can eat. Oh yeah, I was sooo mad! I WOULD CHANGE IT TO HAVING AN USHER LEAD MY BOSS TO THE BUFFET TABLE, HAVE HIM GET SET UP WITH SOME FOOD, I TAKE MY PLATE OVER TO HIS TABLE, CALL CHARLIE OVER WITH HIS PLATE, AND WE EAT TOGETHER WHILE THE OTHERS ATE AT THEIR OWN TABLE.

My cake; it's one of the few only perfect things that day (the temple and my family there the other). I designed it under constrained budget. I WOULD CHANGE IT TO A BIGGER ONE, MORE ROMANTIC LOOKING, BUT LEAVE THE FLAVOR (GERMAN CHOC) THE WAY IT IS.

My dress; oh, I can't believe, I resorted to that dress! It never suited me, but it was supposed to be the more inexpensive alternative to my $1000 square neckline, 3/4 sleeve with a bow, princess-style bodice beauty that my mother gave me money for. I WOULD BUY MY DREAM DRESS AND NOT LISTEN TO ANYBODY TELLING ME OTHERWISE.

My honeymoon clothes; I ran out of time to do any clothes shopping before and after the wedding. I packed clothes that I normally wore to work (I know, ewww!) and my lingerie. I'm glad that Charlie didn't want anyone using the real camera to take our pictures. (Yeah, no honeymoon pictures, another blooper!)I WOULD CHANGE IT TO SHOPPING FOR BETTER SWEATERS, JEANS, HOT BOOTS, GLOVES, AND BETTER SUPPORT TO LOOK THE WAY I WAS FEELING- IN LOVE AND HAPPY TO BE MARRIED!

Just like Phil said when tomorrow finally came,
"Something is... different... Anything different is good."

Since we can all dream those wonderful what ifs without disturbing the now, it never hurts to examine life and wonder "what if..." because someday, even in the near future, you may just get your chance to change things for the better...

Happy blogging!

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

I think I would change several things about my wedding day, too. But, it is what it is, and a lot of the things I think I like now, I wouldn't have even known about ten years ago. So, oh well.

Chandy said...

That's why it's so much fun to pretend that I had the patience and resource to have made it so.