Mouth-watering Memoir

My paternal grandmother, Lucena Ravelo Lacho used to say, "Candy, I'm happy. You know, I just live the simple life..." It's true, if we are happy with what we have, we see the beauty in its simplicity. I miss her so much... I love her so much more.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Some cards you just can't forget...

I've always been fascinated with greeting cards...

When I was in 6th grade back in Laguna, Philippines, I found some old Victorian type greeting cards that sparked a business for me to earn some "secret money" for when I was hungry. I started to fold copy papers into four and from one of the corners, start to trace the Victorian print. Soon, I had so much that I had my own designs. Around Christmas time, I sold each card for 10 sentimos (cents) and made about 5 pesos. To most people, it wasn't much, but to a hungry kid like me, it felt like hitting the Lotto! No one knew about the money, not one, only me. Of course, it didn't last because of the Philippine econony as it was, but the mixed emotions stayed with me throughout my life, even now...

Fast forward to a few years ago... I made these cards for the lovely females in my family and no one else- so far. I've tried, but I haven't been able to.

This is my favorite; it was for my Mama Lucing (Lucena) who taught me the beauty of living a simple life, no matter what life throws at you. I miss her so much...
This is the outside and inside (below) of the Thank You card I made for Charlie's mom for her birthday to show her how much we appreciate her.
These two are for my niece in Elk Grove and my sister in San Jose.
This one was for my in-laws' wedding anniversary, February 12th. I made them a matching envelope.

This last one, I made for my own dh (I know... not a female, but he loved it!)

I think I'm addicted to that "Lotto effect" feeling of making a card for someone or something significant- each of these ladies are significant in my life, including my niece Taryn. I made one for her, mostly purple, because we share the love of purple- she the lighter variety, me the darker end of the spectrum. I made her a card out of my shade to show her how much I love her, but in all of that outpouring of love into one card, I completely forgot to take a picture! Maybe next time, I'll take one.

I hope you liked them too...

3 comments:

Eldredge Family said...

I think you did a wonderful job! each one is very beautiful!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I love them!!! You are very talented. I think you have something special here. You should try starting your own card business.

Chandy said...

Crystal: Thanks, each was a labor of love, that's for sure.

Marivic: I'll definitely think about it. I have seen some awesome homemade cards out there, making me be a bit more hush-hush about mine...