Mouth-watering Memoir

My paternal grandmother, Lucena Ravelo Lacho used to say, "Candy, I'm happy. You know, I just live the simple life..." It's true, if we are happy with what we have, we see the beauty in its simplicity. I miss her so much... I love her so much more.

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Simpleton, Technophobia...

It would seem that I'm a bit (ok... a lot!) behind than most women about what books they've read and movies they've watched. In the scrapbooking department, I'm ashamed to say that I haven't even created a real working layout design yet for my wedding album. Cookbooks, forget it! Crafts, months ago! And now this... (Am I a gadget simpleton or a closet technophobe?) I feel like such a cave woman... :( You see...

Charlie has his cellphone with Google and text, I-Pod, PDA, Wii and new DVD & MP3 players (thanks to his dad who used to work for Philips), tools galore and his biggest babies- our computer with not one, but two monitors for dual pane or panoramic surfing purposes (very cool).

Lisa has her cell with texting, MP3, a TI-83 Plus, Guitar Hero (and soon Rock Band 2), hair straightener, contact lenses, braces, the complete series (all read within acquisition) of hardback Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl, Alex Ryder and Twilight, Converse classics in 4-5 different colors and shirts that everyone seem to want (Hooray for CLEAR-ANCE!!!) and an almost finished fiction teen novel.

Jasmine has her recorder and very own alarm clock; eyes on a dinnerware set with horses on it, is currently planning which plants to have in the patio and has now graduated to reading Margaret Peter Haddix line of fiction, just about to start reading the 7th HP installment and has finished various Agatha Christie online games.

Ian even has his system worked out as to how he's going to manage his 100+ HW toycars and Lego blocks that are now hitting critical mass of storage failure. He also managed to get us to vote on getting the Wii My Sims Kingdom game. He has read through all the Dr. Seuss we have in our library (same for the other series); has successfully devoured Ichabod Crane: 100 words to remember and is now finishing Tale of Despereaux!

Then... there's me; I don't own a cell, no MP3, and the extent of my texting ability is through my blogs (which I barely learned to customize) and emails.

I feel so backwards against my own family; being back in school the last two years, I admittedly have my share of "gadgets" (though most of which belong in the kitchen). All four cool members of this household have their own vices that they are carefully holding onto and are not afraid to seek seasonal "upgrades on", often driving me nuts. But then and again I remember, all these organized approach to their well-deserved or much needed gadgetry and literary collectibles, I helped be possible using the proven low-tech system of "not now" or "when it goes on sale" budgeting tactics... (To the tune of "Mickey Mouse"; C-LE-ARA-NCE, CLEARANCE! and repeat.)

Simpleton? I don't think so; I still head the council. Technophobe, no way! I can finagle my way into learning the current computer lingo and software.

What is it then? This council head... is just plain too busy to care...

2 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Joel and I have been very slow to get on the technology bandwagon. Don't worry. :)

PS I have to tell you this. The other day, Bria was reminiscing about Arizona and she said, "Remember when I threw up at Mulan's house?" I was like who is Mulan? She said, "You know, my friend and her sister was Lisa and she babysat us?" Oh, you mean JASMINE?

Too funny, she totally forgot her name and only knew it was a Disney Princess. I was laughing.

Chandy said...

Lara: Tell her she's not far off; Jasmine used to love Mulan so much that she wanted to stay in the Mulan PJ, watch the movies and pretend she is Mulan...